Monday, August 2, 2010

Welcome to my transcription blog

I have 'lifted' a lot of solos recently and I have decided to write them down and share them here with you. I find that there are surprisingly few good Jazz transcription sites out there. I have seen some excellent ones but they are very 'horn' oriented, some are written in horn keys and others dont have the changes. The best site I have found is Steve Khan's site Khan's Korner. I really enjoys this site and it has helped me a lot, especially his transcription and analysis of Pinocchio and Dolphin Dance. If I get so much out of this then there must be more people out there that would be interested in this type of material. Transcription books are expensive and not always good.
I am not trying or claiming to make perfect transcriptions. And I am a guitarist so I might 'jump around' in octaves a bit and sometimes there are limits to what i can do on my instrument (and to what my ears can pick up) so you might find errors here and there. If you do find an wrong note or other mistake, feel free to contact me and let me know. I also try to make transcriptions that are easy to read rather than rhythmically exact. I recommend that you listen to the original recording and play along with it and try to imitate the phrasing.

Have fun

No comments:

Post a Comment