Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Jazz Guitar Lesson #2 The diminshed scale (how to hear it)

This is a lesson on the diminished scale. I think that a lot of jazz guitarists (and other instrumentalists) are struggling with this scale( I know I do) It's hard to "hear" this sound and if you can't hear it then you are less likely to play it. When you are improvising you want to follow your ears rather than having to think about what scale or system you are using. Here is a little tip how you can hear it more easily. I recommend practicing singing the scale. Divide the scale in two: D minor which is D E F G  and Ab minor which is Ab Bb Cb Db. Or if you wanna think of the Cb as an B nautural which is what I tend to do.

So this lesson is not really explaining how to construct the diminished scale, there are a lot of resources online on that. This is simply a way to practice internalizing the sound.

Diminished Scale Lesson PDF click here






No comments:

Post a Comment